Snippets from a bead artist.

1.28.2014

Joy!!! And lots of photos....

I am so massively happy and excited and just over the moon - I am in Marcia DeCoster's new book, Marcia DeCoster Presents!!  This is a huge honor, and I am floored to be in this book with some of my favorite bead artists EVER - including Marcia herself!  It is an amazing feeling to be in this book with so many of my friends - and I can't believe I am friends with many of the most incredible bead artists around.  This is a part of the book's premise - that the internet has allowed such artists the chance to connect and become close through social media, and to form relationships and partnerships in ways that would never have been possible without the computer era.  The online beading community is huge, varied, beautiful, inspiring and uplifting.

This isn't a project style book, but rather a compendium of interviews with artists from all over the world, who are sharing their inspirations and techniques and tips about their work.  From cover to cover, it is FULL of nothing but gorgeous; the artists themselves are gorgeous, their work is gorgeous, Marcia's thoughtful presentation of each artist and their work is gorgeous...  beginning with the cover of the book itself:


The inside just gets better.  And one of the absolute best things about it - my late friend, Linda Jones, is a featured artist.  I can't begin to say how wonderful this is to me.  That Linda's work will be seen in a wider format than ever, and that she has the chance, even now, to inspire and bring out the artist in each person her work touches... priceless.  Because Linda's work was and is incredible, not only for her sense of color, but for her bold, exciting style, and her love of the medium.  Linda started out with polymer clay as a medium to express herself, and moved into beadwork gradually at first... and then it just overwhelmed her passion for clay.  She tried so many different types of media with the beadwork, and brought her own unique art to each one.  Near the end of her life, she had begun exploring painted lace combined with beads and Huichol style beadwork, and was making masks with it; she considered beading her radiation treatment mask as well.  Linda meant more to me than words can really express.  She was my second mom, my best friend, my inspiration and my rock - she helped me in every way possible, always, including giving me a gentle kick in the butt sometimes when I needed it.  When I received my copy of Marcia DeCoster Presents, I cried a lot, lot, lot, lot - and am a little now as I type.  Seeing Linda's work in print means so much to me - and her words mean even more.  Thank you so VERY much, Marcia, for including Linda here - and for including ME here!!!

Linda Jones - Radiance

Linda Jones - Serendipity

Linda Jones - Handpainted Lace and Bead earrings

Linda Jones - Untitled Mask

It was so fascinating and absorbing, to sit down with my tea and read each of the segments in the book.  I was amazed by some of the pieces I saw - no matter how well I knew the artist, I found a new piece that I hadn't seen before, or had an insight into the person and their work that I hadn't had before.   I was thrilled to be introduced to some artists that I had never met (online or otherwise) and immediately set out to see more of their work, and to find them if I could on Facebook or the web - one of the reasons that this blog post is a little overdue - you can get lost in the web when you're looking at beadwork, oh yes!!

Here's a taster - just SOME of the work of the lovely people in the book - and if this doesn't inspire you to run out and buy the book, I don't know what would!!  (Below the name of the artist and the title of the work you will find a link to their website, blog, or shop. )

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel


Isabella Lam - Joy


Kinga Nichols - See No Evil Cuff


Ann Braginsky - New Age Valkyrie


Beki Haley - Ancient Seas


Betty Stephan - Guardians


Edgar Lopez design for 2012 Battle of the Beadsmith
https://www.facebook.com/edgar.lopezdisenos2   

Edgar Lopez


Heather Collin - Faerie Lights


Heather Kingsley-Heath - Spinning Wave Pendant


Helena Lang-Tim - Maharani

Kerrie Slade - The Fairy Doorway

Kerrie Slade - The Fairy Doorway


Miriam Shimon - Alexandrina


Melissa Ingram - Tequila Sunrise


Zoya Guitana - My French Garden Necklace

Petra Tismer - Rose Bracelet and friend
http://www.das-perlament.de/ 


Sian Nolan - Spike Bracelet 



Patrizia Tager - Crowning Glory

Susan Blessinger - Impending Bloom

Marsha Weist-Hines - Poseidon's Garden


Martina Nagele - Encrusted Kepler Star

Patrick Duggan - Tribute to Art Deco


Marcia DeCoster - La Navette


Marcia DeCoster - Robbin's Nest

Me, Regalia Earrings


There now, don't you want to see more??  :)  Grab yourself a copy, you won't regret it.  And thank you again, Marcia - this is a dream come true for me.   

There should be something new in the way of tutorials coming soon, too...  ;)











15 comments:

  1. FABULOUS!!! Beautiful works of art!! I want to be like you all when I grow up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a sweetie - and you're already THERE!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post Nancy, well thought out and well written with a nice taste of each artists work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thank YOU, sincerely and from my heart. You've made so much of a difference in my life.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to have this book in my collection, it did mean a lot to see so many of my on-line friends featured. I think the insights will stay with me and influence me for years to come, and it makes me want to travel and meet everyone in person...and I have managed a few in person meets already :) Thanks Nancy, you are a big piece of my beading life already
    Catherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wonderful gorgeous blog post Nancy dear! Thank you so much for including 'Fairy Doorway' - I can hardly wait to receive a copy of the book and start drooling myself!

    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Nancy!!! Your earrings are gorgeous and seem to come here from another time and place. Your work is so strong and bold and beautiful and from the sneak peek you gave us here, you are in very good company. I will have to get my hands on a copy. There are so many wonderful artists represented here~I was especially drawn in to Kerrie Slade's work. Your friend Linda and you, together in a book...what an emotional time for you. Her radiance piece is pure beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I didn't read everything or look at all the photos - because I want it to be fresh and beautiful when I receive my copy! Congrats on being a part of what I can tell is gonna be a great book! And FYI - getting ready to use the Summertime Wrap bracelet patterning for a strap to a very vintage pendant. Photos on FB soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....what an amazingly, overflowing with excitement and enthusiasm post! Wonderfully written and OMG there are such stunning works in the book. I cannot wait to get my copy. I absolutely love that Linda is in this fabulously thought out collection of beaders and I am extremely honoured and chuffed to included and counted :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....what an amazingly, overflowing with excitement and enthusiasm post! Wonderfully written and OMG there are such stunning works in the book. I cannot wait to get my copy. I absolutely love that Linda is in this fabulously thought out collection of beaders and I am extremely honoured and chuffed to included and counted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got my copy today & am going to take it & enjoy it. You post has made me really wish I'd known Linda. Her work is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing works of imagination and beauty, Nancy... congrats on being included amongst other talented artists (can you doubt now you've found your place?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Nancy and all the other wonderful artists in the book. Such beautiful work!! Makes me feel very humble indeed to be friends with some of these women.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to bookmark this and come back there is so much eye candy! Congratulations on being in the book, and what a wonderful, wonderful tribute to have Linda included.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment, it means a lot to me! Please don't be upset if I don't have time to respond personally to each comment - but be sure that I read each and every one of them! :)